I help authors take their writing further through personalised editorial consultations. My 1:1 developmental editing sessions allow you to get in-depth advice on specific aspects of your manuscript. You’ll receive feedback on the strengths of your manuscript and practical suggestions and resource recommendations to enable you to enhance your writing and build your technical skills.
I can assist with:
- Creating strong and believable characters
- Showing not telling
- Conveying an immersive sense of place
- Applying point of view consistently
- Crafting engaging dialogue
- Restructuring aspects of the manuscript
- Writing absorbing openings and compelling hooks.
My 1:1 developmental editing sessions are designed to be flexible and usually focus on up to three elements of your choice at a time. They can be helpful for workshopping ideas to resolve a particular issue you have identified or they can provide additional support to implement changes arising from a manuscript assessment or developmental edit.
How it works:
- We’ll have a brief initial discussion by phone, Zoom or email to identify the elements you’d like to get some guidance or feedback on.
- I’ll read and analyse an agreed portion of the manuscript (up to 10,000 words).
- We’ll have a 1 hour interactive session to discuss what’s working well and workshop ideas and approaches for underdeveloped aspects of the manuscript.
- I’ll follow up with you after a month to see how you’re going with your next draft, providing both accountability and encouragement.
Working with authors to bring their ideas to life on the page is one of the best parts of my work. I enjoy working with authors of fiction and creative non-fiction, and I have a particular interest in literary fiction, crime and mystery, historical fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, memoir, biography and history. Whether you are pursuing self-publishing or you’re planning on submitting your manuscript to a publishing house, I can help you get your manuscript into shape and let your writing shine.
As well as individual consultations, I also offer developmental editing on full manuscripts, subject to availability.
If you’re keen to develop your writing and would like independent feedback on your manuscript, I’d love to hear from you. You can view my fees and get in touch to find out more via my booking page.